Saturday, October 18, 2008

Christening at the Malahat Reserve Unit



Today I had the pleasure of Photographing a Christening at the Malahat Reserve Unit in Victoria BC. Thankfully it turned out that I just happened to be visiting friends and family on Vancouver Island the same weekend as the Christening. My friend (and fellow photographer) Josh McCulloch referred me as a potential photographer for the event.
It was very interesting photographing a Navy style christening, in the past I have only witnessed christening/baptisms that were part of a church service. My clients had reserved an nice large room where they invited their friends and family to witness the special event, and afterwards they served delicious refreshments. One very important part of the christening was that the water in the baptismal font was ocean water (contained in an old ships bell) once the ceremony was done we all walked down to the pier and the water was returned to the ocean. It was quite an interesting experience being part of such a unique traditional event.

No comments: